WARNING: This is a long but worth the read to stay caught up about what we are doing in K!
I am so happy to say that as a whole, the classroom behavior has been SO MUCH BETTER! Thank you for your support with this. We will continue to talk about the importance of following the rules/directions and keeping our hands to ourselves often.
100th DAY CELEBRATION
One of my favorite days of the year is the day we get to celebrate 100 DAYS OF KINDERGARTEN. I would love some help with supplies for our 100 Day Trail Mix. Please send in the item that has your child’s name next to it by FRIDAY, FEB. 8th. THANK YOU IF YOU ALREADY BROUGHT YOUR ITEM!
- 1 box of Fruit Loops (Lucy, Ska)
- 1 bag of chocolate chips (Hunter)
- 1 bag of popcorn (big bag pre-popped) (Kash)
- Raisins (Dax, Dylan)
- Teddy Grahams (Wyatt H., Cooper, Tatum)
- 1 box cheerios (Xavier)
- 1 bag of Goldfish crackers (Justus, Boston)
- 1 bag of pretzel sticks (Thomas)
- 1 family sized bag of M&M’s (Harbor, Rooney, Kensley)
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows (Wyatt W., Aydan)
It is almost time for our Valentine’s party. The party will be held on THURSDAY, FEB. 14. We will enjoy treats and pass out Valentine’s card/gifts. Here is some important info:
- There are 24 students and 2 teachers in the class.
- If your child is making valentine cards/gifts, PLEASE ONLY WRITE WHO THE VALENTINE IS FROM. It takes FOREVER if they try to read the name of who they are to.
- Please make a valentine for EVERY student.
- Please send valentine’s to school the day of the party.
- Do NOT worry about making a box at home. We will make Valentine’s bags in the classroom. If you would like to send stickers or other decorations, we would greatly appreciate it.
- If you would like to bring a treat, please contact me beforehand (this is not required).
February book orders will be in this week's Friday folder. Please return or submit orders before Friday Feb. 22!!
HEALTHY SNACKS AND LUNCHES
As a reminder, please try to send your child with a balanced lunch and a somewhat healthy snack. We are beginning to see some food items that will not keep them full and focused throughout the last half of the day. Sending a balanced lunch that includes some healthy proteins, carbs, fruits and veggies will keep their mind and body strong for all of their afternoon activities!
We are finally getting to the addition unit for math and I can't wait to start teaching your kids many different ways to add. We will also focus on addition fluency within 10 (5+5, 8+2, 3+4, etc). It is a great time to see all of the ways they can think about the numbers we have been learning so much about.
We just finished up our narrative unit, where the students focused on four main parts:
- Themselves as the main character (using I, me, I'm)
- Adding a setting to their story
- Problem and solution
- Including a beginning, middle and end
For February, we are now learning about how to write about our opinions and have an understanding that everyone can have their own opinion. So far they have practiced writing their opinion about their favorite season and a free choice write.
Our main focus for this month is reading the sight words in a reading passage. This is a lot different than reading from a flash card. We read a new story almost daily, practicing them over and over to build fluency. I will be sending some of these passages home with your child and I encourage you to have them show off their skills. They are so proud of their hard work (as they should be)! Also, please make sure you are continuing to practice sight words every night. Even if they have passed off on a list, reviewing will help them remember!
Please reach out if you have questions or need anything and THANK YOU again for all of your continued support. I truly could not do this job without you!!!